Furniture Stores Western Mass – A Western Winter Wonderland: Christmas Day Family\Fallen Angel\One Magic Eve (Harlequin Historical Series) – German-American Shooting Society Clubhouse
Furniture Stores Western Mass
- western mass
- Western Massachusetts is a loosely defined geographical region of the U.S. state of Massachusetts which contains the Berkshires and the Pioneer Valley.
- Furniture (probably from the French 'fournir' — to provide) is the mass noun for the movable objects ('mobile' in Latin languages) intended to support various human activities such as seating and sleeping in beds, to hold objects at a convenient height for work using horizontal surfaces above
- Furniture was a British pop band, active from 1979 to 1991 and best known for their 1986 Top 30 hit "Brilliant Mind".
- In typesetting, furniture is a term for pieces of wood that are shorter than the height of the type. These pieces are used to layout type by blocking out empty spaces (white space) in a layout set in a chase.
- furnishings that make a room or other area ready for occupancy; "they had too much furniture for the small apartment"; "there was only one piece of furniture in the room"
- store – a supply of something available for future use; "he brought back a large store of Cuban cigars"
- store – keep or lay aside for future use; "store grain for the winter"; "The bear stores fat for the period of hibernation when he doesn't eat"
- Storage is an important consideration for any wine that is being kept for long-term aging. While most wine produced today is meant for near-term consumption (with much being consumed within 24 hours of purchase), there are certain situations in which it may be set aside for long-term storage. T.
- store – shop: a mercantile establishment for the retail sale of goods or services; "he bought it at a shop on Cape Cod"
Christmas Day Family by Cheryl St.John
Marvel Henley though she was content until the new handsome doctor Seth Paxton and his adorable kids crashed into her life! Suddenly she began to yearn for things she had long stopped wishing for…
Fallen Angel by Jenna Kernan
When Abby March is accidentally shot she and her young boy are taken into a rugged stranger’s care. Dark and mysterious, Ford Statler hides a softer side and offers much more than just a Christmas to remember…
One Magic Eve by Pam Crooks
Chet Latimer is attracted to Sonja Kaplan despite local gossip, and he finds himself asking Sonja for help with his motherless little boy. With Christmas on the horizon and magic in the air, their lives may just change…forever!
Designed by William C. Frohne and constructed in 1888-89, the German-American Shooting Society Clubhouse (Deutsche-Amerikanische Schiitzen Gesellschaft) is a rare, intact reminder of the important German immigrant community that formed the majority population of Manhattan’s Lower East Side during much of the nineteenth century. Beginning in the 1840s, this area became known as Kleindeutschland or Little Germany. The newcomers organized a variety of German institutions for mutual support, such as churches, benevolent societies, small industries, saloons, beer halls, theaters, social clubs, and shooting societies. Shooting clubs and militias served a social function and were primarily dedicated to target practice and marksmanship. The German-American Shooting Society’s Clubhouse was the headquarters for twenty-four shooting companies, and helped continue the community’s bond with Kleindeutschland, even after many German-Americans began to move out of their original neighborhood, to Yorkville and beyond, toward the end of the century. The exuberant German Renaissance revival style of the Clubhouse, with its flamboyant ornament, is unusual in New York and provided the original occupants of this building with a strong visual
connection to their homeland. The building’s steep mansard roof with tall, ornate dormers and its prominent, fourth-story, terra-cotta relief sculpture depicting a target and rifles are quite distinctive and serve as enduring evidence of the once-numerous German population of this neighborhood.
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
From its founding in 1626 by Peter Minuit, a native of the German town of Wesel am Rhein, New York City has had a significant German population. During the 1820s, the first German neighborhood and commercial center developed in the area southeast of City Hall Park and by 1840 more than 24,000 Germans lived in the city. During the next twenty years, their numbers increased dramatically as "mass transatlantic migration brought another hundred thousand Germans fleeing land shortages, unemployment, famine, and political and religious oppression."
To accommodate this growth, a new German neighborhood developed east of the Bowery and north of Division Street, which became known as Kleindeutschland, Little Germany, Dutchtown, or Deutschlandle. Dislocations caused by growth of the German Empire brought 70,000 new immigrants to the area in the mid-nineteenth century while thousands of American-bom children of German immigrants established their own homes in the neighborhood. By 1880, the German-speaking population of Kleindeutschland exceeded 250,000, making up approximately one-quarter of the city’s population, and the neighborhood’s boundaries had expanded north to 18th Street and east to the East River. Kleindeutschland was "the first large immigrant neighborhood in American history that spoke a foreign language," and remained the major German-American center in the United States for the rest of the century.
This was true despite the fact that toward the end of the nineteenth century, German neighborhoods began to be established across the East River in Williamsburg and Bushwick, and across the Hudson River in Hoboken, New Jersey. Other large German settlements were started in Yorkville, around Third Avenue and 86th Street, and at Steinway, in Queens.
German Immigrant Life and Clubs4
The contributions of German immigrants and their descendants had a widespread impact on New York in fields such as religion, politics, business, labor, publishing, the arts, and philanthropy. Newcomers usually settled in neighborhoods where others from their home country lived, to provide mutual support, as well as economic and social opportunities. Most of Kleindeutschland’s new residents started by working in neighborhood factories and shops in what came to be regarded as German trades – as tailors, bakers, grocers, shoemakers, brewers, cigar makers, piano and furniture makers, and dressmakers.
They worshiped in German-speaking churches and synagogues, took part in benevolent, fraternal, and mutual aid societies like the Harugari, Vereineigte, Deutscher Bruder, the German Society of New York, Landsmannschaften, and B ‘nai B’rith, and created their own banking and insurance companies such as the German-American Bank, and the Germania Life-Insurance Company (later the Guardian Life Insurance Company). They formed numerous political associations, such as the Workers’ League and the Socialist Labor Party, as well as the American Federation of Labor. Several publishing houses and newspapers were owned by German New Yorkers, including the popular and influential Staats-Zeitung.
In 1883-84, two of the more successful German immigrants, Anna and Otto Ottendorfer, provided the land and resources to build a library and a free medical clinic to serve the neighborhood. The Ottendorfer Branch of the New Yo
Designed by the preeminent architect Cass Gilbert, and constructed in 1927-28, the 130 West 30th Street Building was built to accommodate offices, showrooms and manufacturing space. The 18-story structure was a speculative project for the real estate firm of M. & L. Hess, Inc. and of particular interest to its president, John W. Hahner.
Gilbert’s work includes a wide variety of types of buildings that illustrate his ability to create designs to meet the individual needs of each client: large-scale monumental structures in classical revival styles for official government purposes, distinctive skyscrapers for corporate clients, and highly functional industrial buildings, each combining modern building techniques with a unique appearance.
In this loft building on narrow West 30th Street in New York’s fur district, the architect displays his ability to use the style most appropriate to the job. Here modern skyscraper style setbacks reflect the zoning rules required by the 1916 Building Zone Resolution to admit more light and air onto the streets. The bold, abstracted terra-cotta designs on the entryway panels and cornices, based on traditional Assyrian hunting scenes and mythical guardian figures help distinguish this building from its neighbors and are truly unusual motifs.
The Assyrian Revival style, one of numerous historically-inspired styles used during this period, was seen on only two other buildings in New York City. Fabricated by the Atlantic Terra Cotta Company, these terra cotta bands and elaborate geometrically-ornamented spandrel panels add an unexpected and exotic element to this industrial building, which was considered an asset for attracting tenants.
This block of 30th Street from Sixth to Seventh Avenues was, in the late nineteenth century, part of the notorious Tenderloin section of New York. This area, infamous for its extensive criminal activity, stretched roughly from 23rd to 42nd Streets and from Fifth to Seventh Avenues.
These endeavors co-existed with (and were inspired by) New York’s entertainment district which was centered on Broadway, between 23rd and 34th Streets, during the period from about 1860 through 1910. In 1907-08, in response to neighborhood conditions. New York City constructed a new police station just to the west of where 130 West 30th Street would be built.
During the early years of the twentieth century, as New York’s theaters, restaurants and hotels moved north to Times Square, the Tenderloin followed, encompassing the streets between 42nd and 62nd Streets. The area around Madison Square became home to growing numbers of small garment manufacturers who moved into lofts and showrooms from their previous cramped locations in the tenements of the Lower East Side.
These companies were soon pushed north and west by the Fifth Avenue Association, a group of merchants who banded together to foster retail trade in the Madison Square area. As the number of people employed in the manufacturing of ready-to-wear garments increased dramatically, an association of garment manufacturers joined together to develop two large sites near Seventh Avenue and 37th Street.
By 1920, this became the locus for the garment district, with its manufacturing and designing lofts, showrooms and offices, that eventually took over the area from Sixth to Ninth Avenues, from 30Ul to 42nd Streets.3 During the years between the wars, garment manufacturing and selling and its related trades became New York’s largest industry "in terms of both work force and commercial output."
A subset of this industry was the fur trade, with a somewhat more specialized production, which located in the adjoining neighborhood to the south, between 25"1 and 31st Streets, between Sixth and Eighth Avenues. This area became the fur district, the center of this labor-intensive industry which employed highly-skilled fur designers and production workers, and their sales and design staff, as well as their suppliers.
130 West 30 Street Building
West 30th Street, between Sixth and Seventh Avenues, was organized into lots beginning in the 1830s. Beginning in the mid-nineteenth century, lots 75 through 81 (on which this building is located) were combined into one parcel. Early in the twentieth century, development activity in the area increased, as demonstrated by the heightened investment level of realty companies.
The United States Realty Company purchased lots 77-81 in 1915. In 1920, this same parcel was sold to the 128 West 30th Street Corporation.6 This organization had been founded in April of that year as a real estate holding company.
The M. & L. Hess Company was a real estate brokerage firm begun in the early 1900s by Edwin H. and Nathan J. Hess, with offices at 643 and 907 Broadway.8 By 1925, John W. Hahner was listed as the president of the company. It was Hahner who, because of the increased business activity in the area, hired
Christmas in Red Willow by Cheryl St. John
Chloe Hanley must save the town church. But only if she can convince reclusive carpenter Owen Reardon to help repair the broken heart of the community and open his own up again— in time for Christmas!
The Sheriff’s Housekeeper Bride by Jenna Kernan
Running from her past and a crime she didn’t commit, Eliza Flannery bumps into her future—all rugged six-foot sheriff of him! Single father Trent Foerster mistakes her for his housekeeper, but there’s no mistaking his desire for a mistletoe kiss from this mysterious miss….
Wearing the Rancher’s Ring by Charlene Sands
Cooper Garnett is shot and left for dead near Double J Ranch when widow Rachel Bodine comes to his aid. Could his unexpected arrival be the best Christmas gift ever— a second-chance family for Rachel and her little son?